Pages

Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Bunny for Jilly

One day last April, I wanted to paint.


Of course, I didn't have any paint. Or canvas. Or brushes. I could, of course, have gone somewhere and gotten all these things but it was my one day off from work and, to be honest, I just wanted to stay home and paint.

Around that time, a friend had come to visit for a few weeks and he'd brought his computer with him. More importantly, he'd brought his wacom tablet with him. Now, I'd heard about wacom tablets. All my favorite webcomic artists used them. I also "knew" that they were expensive and there was no way I could afford one for myself.

This wacom tablet cost about $50 refurbished and we were able to simply plug it into my computer, open up a paint program, and off I went. It took me a few minutes to get the hang of the controls but after that, I was painting.


I missed a lot of the sensations that I associate with painting. The wood of the brush, the smooth feel of paint sliding across canvas, the smell of the oil paints. One thing I didn't miss? Cleaning up the mess.

I was chatting with my friend Jillybean and told her I was painting a tree. She told me to add a bunny just for her. So I did. It was so easy to do, too. Working with real paints, I would have gotten paint all over my fingers and it would have smeared, possibly ruining the whole picture.

As more and more of my stuff gets packed up to move, I find myself wanting to borrow the wacom tablet again. My creative juices are flowing and need somewhere to go.

Can you spot the bunny?

1 comment: