Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Ice cubes!

Anybody who's rented an apartment or a house knows that the odds of getting a freezer with an ice maker are slim. Even if the freezers are capable of using an ice maker, it's probably not hooked up to a water source. So, what are we left with?

These.


White, plastic ice cube trays.

I hate these things with a passion. You can find them for about $2.50 to $5 at any grocery store in America and it's a good thing, too. I bought at least 2 a month, sometimes more, because the darn things would get so brittle in the freezer, they'd crack when I would try to get the ice out. And you couldn't always get the ice out, either.

Well, I found a solution that I love. I think it's probably one of the few things in my kitchen I would never give up. I'd give up my dishwasher before I gave up these and I have a real fondness for that dishwasher.

Ta dah!

Perfect Cube Green Ice Cube Tray

Silicone Ice Cube Trays. I've had them for almost 2 years now and they are so perfect! You can squish them, squeeze them and get the ice out of them and they don't break! How awesome is that! They're also stackable if you need the space and make more ice than those nasty white ice cube trays. 

No, I'm not getting paid to write this, I just had to share my favorite piece of cooking equipment. Share yours in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! I want a squishy ice cube tray! Luckily our freezer has a working ice machine but I have dealt with those demon white trays that break and spray plastic at you. I'd have to say my favorite things in the kitchen are my coffee machine and my snoopy measuring cups but those are for obvious reasons, not for the pure genius of them. However, I am ALWAYS amazed when I can find a good ice cream scooper that doesn't bend from the force of the frozen goodness it is meant to scoop :)

    ReplyDelete